Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Day 7-Lucas's Life

(Working on a roof in Ensenada)

Hi, my name is Lucas. God has used this missions trip so far to get me out of my comfort zone from messed up showers to having to dance with Angie in a skit. But God impacted me most through the people I was "supposed" to impact.

I met a boy named Saúl on Sunday. He lived in one of the colonias of Ensenada. At 11 years old he was the perfect "little brother". His family wasn't too open to God nor did they go to church regularly. However his older brother ran a small grocery shop across the church we served in. 

Saúl would regularly play around there and the pastor knew him well. He had learned about Jesus and some worship songs like the "Mustard Seed" and "Abre Mis Ojos O Cristo" (Open the Eyes of My Heart). He was also a strong Christian. When we were painting the church he'd always help us.

I remembered we were up on the roof and he stood near the edge. I yelled, "Cuidado, yo tengo miedo que tu vas morir" (Caution, I'm scared you will die). He looked up to me and smiled and said "Yo no tengo miedo porque yo voy con Dios" (I'm not scared because I know I will be with God if I die). There was such conviction and faith in his words. 

He also offered me grapes from his father's fruit stand. Money was scarce and I was impressed that he would give me, a random person, something so special. That is the love that God calls us to show. He may not know this but God used him to teach me about faith in Him. 

Faith doesn't have to be logical and reasoned, with Saúl he just believed it and had a child-like faith (Luke 18:16). In a missions trip, we'd expect to make an impact on the people we serve, but Saúl if you ever read this, thanks for making an impact on me.

(Saúl and me)

No comments:

Post a Comment